Wood Pressed Oils are slowly becoming a popular household choice for cooking oils. Preferred to be a better choice over modern refined oils, wood pressed oils can bring you and your family a number of health benefits. But what are they and how are they different? Read this blog to know what are wood-pressed oils.
Oil has been a significant part of our lives, be it for cooking or for external use on our bodies. The refined oil that we have so grown used to consuming on a daily basis, however, is not completely equipped to benefit our health in the long run. When you compare the wide variety of refined oils present in the market today, you will find out that they are not as efficient as traditional wood-pressed oils. Why is that so? It all comes down to the manufacturing process of the different oils, which gives a natural and nutritious advantage to wood-pressed oils.
But before we can understand what makes them so good for our health, we must first understand “what is wood-pressed oil?”.
What Are Wood Pressed Oils?
While it is common knowledge that oil extraction happens from the seeds of a plant that hold the oil, there is so much more to the process than one can imagine. Wood-Pressed Oils are extracted from these seeds with the use of wooden pestles (wooden Ghani, Chekku, or Kolhu) that rotate on an axis at really slow speeds. What this does is that it achieves oil extraction at really low temperatures as the heat generated in the process is absorbed by the wooden Ghani, saving the nutrients in the oil from getting denatured.
The modern method of oil extraction, which makes use of heavy machinery, adds heat and solvents into the crushed pulp of seeds to extract the entirety of the oil content. As a result, the heat breaks down the molecular structure of the nutrients in the oil, while the solvents introduce toxic chemicals into our oil. Wood-Pressed Oils retain their nature on the very molecular level.
What Makes Wood Pressed Oils Good For Us?
For those of us who grew up in the previous generation or grew up listening to the stories of our elders about the quality of their life back in the day, we realise so much has changed. And yes, while it may be hard to believe, the same applies to the quality of oil we consume today. The category of refined oil that we consume today is readily available and at really affordable prices, but wood-pressed oils have a horde of benefits for our health. Here are a few important wood-pressed oil benefits that you must know about.
- They retain all their nutrients, which includes proteins, vitamins, lecithin, phospholipids, and fibre. These are important for our overall health as they keep our bodies functioning at their optimum levels.
- Wood pressed oils, especially groundnut oil are rich in natural antioxidants. Oxidation of the nutrients and elements in our bodies results in the accumulation of toxins. Antioxidants protect the cells in our bodies from the effects of harmful oxidants and free radicals.
- Because of being extracted at a lower heat, wood-pressed oils have a lower overall level of cholesterol. It promotes the level of good cholesterol (HDL) while reducing the bad cholesterol (LDL) levels.
- The vitamin E in wood pressed sesame oil gives it natural anti-inflammatory and healing properties. This way, wood-pressed oils are good for topical application as well.
- Because they are made without any solvent, wood-pressed oils are completely free of any harmful substances including hexane, hydrogen peroxide, sodium bicarbonate, and bleaching agents, preservatives, and trans fat.
- Wood PressedOils (like mustard oil) retain their original flavour and freshness, which is something highly appreciated in today’s time.
- Most importantly, Wood-Pressed oils are a rich source of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (Omega 3 and Omega 6) which are beneficial for our cardiovascular health.
Wood-Pressed Oils are made with a lot of intense manual labour, which is why people often consider refined oil made by machines. Remember that while they may cost less in terms of money, modern refined oils balance it out with their lack of health benefits in the longer run.
The modern household is becoming sensitive towards what they are putting into their bodies, which is why fresh ingredients and healthy cooking options have begun to take precedence. At Nayesha Mills, we give mindfulness priority, which is why every batch of our Wood pressed oil is extracted from high-quality materials through the use of natural methods and is 100% free from any type of adulteration. Head to our shop section to place your order for one of our excellent range of products.